For those of you living under a rock (or not listening to one of the internet’s top podcasts), Dem Fly Boyz embarked on a 10-day
free vacation exhibition trip to Spain this past Friday. Which means at the very least, we’re guaranteed some very entertaining social media from the boys + Miller’s for the next week.
This marks the second international trip of Archie’s career and will put the Flyers against two Spanish professional teams. For my fellow alumni who believe “student” comes first in “student-athlete,” fear not: the itinerary also includes a project with Red Cross, tours of Madrid and Barcelona, plus a grueling two-credit class.
Dayton is one of 13 U.S. college teams taking trips to Spain this month, with heavy-hitters Villanova, Virginia, VCU and Oregon also making the trek. All games will be played under international rules; the obvious differences being a 24-second shot clock, longer three-point arc (DURRELL!), and wider free throw lane. Dayton also became the first U.S. team to use Real Madrid’s newest facilities.
— Arch Miller (@Archie_Miller) August 7, 2016
Due to security concerns, no one is announcing the dates or times of either game and there will be no live coverage. Which is why we woke up this morning to news that Dayton dropped its first game to Spanish Select while we were sleeping, 64-58. From DaytonFlyers.com:
- After a rugged first quarter, Dayton was able to pull to within one possession in both the second and third quarters, only to have Spanish Select regain its advantage once it was able to get into the bonus.
- The Flyers took a brief lead early in the fourth period, but once again the locals were able to get to the line and hold on for the win.
- In his first Dayton game after a year layoff, Bradley transfer Josh Cunningham led the Flyers with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
- Seniors Scoochie Smith and Charles Cooke added 11 points apiece.
- Ryan Mikesell came off the bench to have six points, five rebounds and a team-high five assists.
- Every scholarship player available played at least 12 minutes in the game.
- Spanish Select was led by Javier Arrigo’s 19 points and Jose Balmon’s 15 points. Balmon had 11 free throws, one more than the Dayton team total.
- Spanish Select was a team made up of Madrid-based Level 1 professional players.
Few things to digest here. First off, Kendall is NOT playing as he’s still rehabbing from the wrist and knee surgeries. He’ll be ready to go come preseason practices. And if anyone has any doubts on his recovery, fear not: his surgery was done by the same Chicago surgeon who operated on D Rose’s knees. What’s the worst that could happen?
My spanish is better than I thought ?
— Kendall Pollard (@__KP) August 6, 2016
Second, our boy Kostas Antetokounmpo didn’t make the trip because he’s still working through the enrollment process to get everything squared away for fall semester.
Outstanding matchup here:
The biggest takeaway here is Josh Cunningham making his Flyer debut with a double-double. Granted its a meaningless exhibition game, but lets not forget the last two transfers Archie took under his wing. I can’t WAIT to see what this kid can do.
tiempo para probar cosas nuevas pic.twitter.com/qQr1PHOOVd
— Arch Miller (@Archie_Miller) August 6, 2016
Assume the next game in Barcelona will be Wednesday or Thursday – we’ll get another blog with all the stats/Tweets/Instagrams up from that whenever it happens.
P.S. — I was thinking of that scene in Coach Carter where the team busts out of the Motel 6 the entire time writing this.
The man, the myth, the straws, the legend. More than a blogger; less than a God.