The U of D released its full basketball schedule today, does that do anything for you? From what I can gather, the Flyers basketball team will participate in thirty contests against other colleges and universities across this great nation.
[su_document url=”http://www.blackburnreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016_17_Dayton_Basketball_Schedule.pdf” width=”700″ height=”700″]
- UD is playing St. Joseph’s College, a D2 school located in Indiana. We are going to need an explanation for this one.
- Austin Peay, Winthrop, East Tennessee State and VMI. At first blush, this foursome doesn’t look formidable but there’s a decent chance that Winthrop, ETSU and Austin Peay could rack up 20 wins. It certainly won’t be eye-catching wins, but these are safe opponents with the possibility of a good payoff come March. I’m not going to lie to you, VMI is dog shit, you are better off chopping wood or canning tomatoes, whatever Midwesterners do to pass time in December.
- Love the Saint Mary’s matchup. The Gaels are good for 22-25 wins a year and have a solid reputation across the country. Additionally, UD can put an L on Randy Bennett — a candidate for the Flyers’ head coaching gig who apparently didn’t show much interest in the job. That seemed to work out okay for UD.
- Bama, Vandy and Northwestern? This is where the sausage gets made. Three capable programs that will add a little bite to Dayton’s non-conference resume. It’s quite possible none of these teams make the NCAA tourney, but they each have “name-brand” value that has a tendency to fool the naked eye.
- The Wooden Legacy looks rather underwhelming. As always, that first game, against Nebraska, is key. Win that one and UD likely gets two quality matchups with UCLA and then New Mexico/VA Tech/Texas A&M. A loss to the Huskers probably results in a game with Portland and a wasted trip out west.
- Five Friday night conference games…not sure how to feel about that.
- The last three games on the schedule will be vital: at Davidson, VCU at the Arena and closing out with George Washington in D.C.
- UD is really making a big deal out of playing in Chicago against Northwestern. Have a feeling that one could get LOWD to the dismay of the Wildcats.
Tom Blackburn is a proud U. o' D. alum. He loses faith in humanity one day at a time, but not in you, you seem like you are all kinds of alright. Charter member of the T-Man fanclub.