I feel bad for the city of Dayton, I really do. A group of die-hard Sweaters came together a few weeks ago and declared yesterday the inaugural “March For The Arch”, a parade of sorts to kick-off a weekend of celebrations for the long standing rivalry. Sponsored by the great folks at Hickory BBQ and Hot Head Burrito’s Secret Sauce, the crowd numbered into the tens of thousands at high noon yesterday. To the disappointment of Senior Sweater organizers, however, dozens of cities worldwide held marches of a different persuasion yesterday. Thus, the coverage and popularity of theirs was lost in the noise. Thankfully we were able to convince a random freshman on Twitter to scale Roesch Library and take pictures from the roof in exchange for a $7 Venmo payment and copy of ESPN’s The Body Issue (the Aly Raisman cover, obviously).For the third straight year, the Fliers took home the Arch Baron Cup in the season’s first bout with the Billikens, a final score of 67-46. Saint Louis played precisely as advertised and will remain in the basement of the A10 for the foreseeable future. That being said, Dayton decided to give them a little false hope with our trademark “start almost every game down 10-4” move. The day I get to write a blog that doesn’t have that sentence is the day I marry a girl who spent her college weekends at Milano’s.
— Flyer Faithful (@Flyer_Faithful) January 22, 2017
Once Archie told his staff to take the Cup off the scorer’s table, the boys were able to collect themselves and went on a 23-2 tear. I can’t imagine a world where anyone would want or need an in-depth recap of that game, so here’s all you need:
- Schoochie found himself the winner of another Harewood Horse MVP trophy with 19 points, making 6-of-9 shots (5 of those being three’s).
- The Flyers are now atop the A10 all by themselves with Richmond and VCU losing today. Needless to say, BIG game coming this week.
- Dem Fly Boyz held Saint Louis to 30% from the field and 15% from behind the arch.
- We went into the locker room at the half up 31-18.
- Nearly lost in all the Cup Madness was Cooke’s performance: 6 assists (career high), 15 points, and 9 boards.
- Dayton drained four 3’s in the first 10 minutes of the game
- Speaking of three-pointers, you guys will NEVER guess what Baby D did from behind the arch today: 1 for 6.
- Kyle sat for the second consecutive game. Archie seemed pretty confident in his post-game press conference that he would be back for the VCU game this week.
- Fact of the Day from our boy Jablo: the Flyers haven’t played a single game this season at full-strength.
- Better news: Archie also said Cunningham is ahead of schedule and is practicing with the expectation of playing again this year. We’ll see.
- Trey Landers got some minutes in garbage time and scored our final 5 points (shoutout Joey Gruden for getting an assist too).
Stay LOWD, stay focused, stay clean. See ya Friday.
— Adam (@adam_gutheil) January 22, 2017
The man, the myth, the straws, the legend. More than a blogger; less than a God.